24 July 2011

Moose Jaw Minute #51: On the Road Again...

Hi, everyone!  Apologies for the lack of posts recently...I've been on the road to see family in Pennsylvania with Dave and then on to the Lone Star state of Texas to give a presentation for work.  I am noticing a change in travel for me.  When I first moved to Moose Jaw, travel felt more like home and being on the road was a comfort from the unfamiliar territory of my new surroundings.  I knew the drill at the airport, the comfort (yes, comfort!) of the airline seat, my tray table in its locked and stowed position, traversing the corridors of different terminals, and seeing everyone and everything in constant states of movement -- these things were familiar and recognizable to me as I attempted to navigate the new chapter of my life in the Jaw.

I travel quite a bit.  I often visit the place I lived the longest - Chicago - due to work.  I see family over holidays and family gatherings.  I  reconnect with the people and places that, for my first few months here, made me feel like I had a place to tuck into and find something to ground me.  In a lot of ways, Moose Jaw wasn't that for me in the beginning.  It was too new and my lifestyle too different for me to consider it comfortable and welcoming.

But, over the last few months, I've noticed a change.  Now, coming back to Canada feels more assured and familiar.  As I peer at the farmland from my tiny window on the plane, descending through the clouds over Saskatchewan, I know I am getting closer to my life in Moose Jaw -- a life which now feels much more familiar and comfortable than life in a multitude of different places.  As I criss-cross the borders between the United States and Canada, I also criss-cross different areas of my life, all contributing to the person I am becoming.  It's a good feeling.

I love to travel, but I also love coming home.

No comments: