12 January 2011

Moose Jaw Minute #22: Resolutions? Nah, Dreams + Goals...

A new year!  First, recovery from the holidays, then...

A chance to tackle some of the things on my list of goals + dreams.  A chance to dive head first into new challenges and achieve some of the things I've talked about.  Whatever your opinion on the New Year, I always cherish the fact that we get a chance at the end of every year to reflect, remember, and then set ourselves up for another year of experiences -- large and small, fun and challenging.

I am not a big believer in the "resolution" deal.  Instead, I like to make a goals + dreams list.  A list that inspires, motivates, and energizes me.  I put things on my list that I feel I can accomplish...in other words, I am only going to set myself up for success and that makes me feel good! 

I've had a lot of inspiration over the last year and I am surprised by how my surroundings have an effect on my goals.  For example, one of my goals this year is to fully embrace being in Canada.  I want to jump with both feet in and explore, try new things (snowshoeing, anyone?), and experience things I would not have a chance to if I were in the States.  I want to get to know more about Moose Jaw and the people and things that make it tick.  For instance, this year, I would love to do more trails in the Nicolle Flats at Buffalo Pound -- so, in the spring, Dave and I are committing to some trail runs (we have already been hiking through the deep snow there...fantastic!).  If some are lacking for inspiration, you can find some gems on 43Things, a website where folks are sharing resolutions as diverse as "quit smoking" to "find my bliss."  It's fun to see what others are sharing...

To kick-start our experiences, as I mentioned, Dave and I went through some of the trails at the Nicolle Flats.  It was cold and the snow was deep, but the sky stretched out above us as our breath made clouds in the air and we watched as white-tailed deer made their way through the provincial park.  We could have stayed out there forever.  Buffalo Pound is an excellent place for being in the outdoors with hiking, kayaking, cross country skiing, and camping.  Apparently, and I just read this, the Pound was used by early Indians to corral bison and there is a herd that is kept there now...something to check out this year...

I've had a good time coming up with my list and am excited about what this year holds for me.  I hope you are just as excited about yours.

No comments: