11 February 2011

Moose Jaw Minute #26: My Second Valentine's Day in the Jaw

It is the time of year for hunkering down and getting cozy with the ones we love...be they friends or family.  The dark winter days are beginning to shorten, the temperatures are warming just ever-so-slightly, and my cravings for all things dark chocolate and bread are at an all-time high.  Valentine's Day MUST be around the corner!

This is, in fact, my second Valentine's Day in Moose Jaw.  I surprised Dave last year and flew in for my first visit to what would eventually become my home.  It was dark.  And cold.  I remember landing late at night, watching the steam rise from the airport out of the darkness that surrounds Regina and Moose Jaw.  I wasn't sure what I would find or who I would meet!   

On this Valentine's Day, one year later, I figured I would share with you the things I love about being here in Moose Jaw!

I love...
  • that everyone is so nice.  Really.  Moose Jaw is not called "The Friendly City" for nothing.
  • the coffee and people-watching at Java Express.
  • cooking good vegan dishes at home.  This is a big deal for me as my idea of cooking used to be opening a PowerBar wrapper and/or assembling a salad.
  • being a part of a book club!
  • Wakamow Valley and the Nicolle Flats...such nice places to be outside, in all weather.
  • the gorgeous sunsets we are treated to almost every evening.
  • hearing Harvards and Hawks buzzing overhead from the base.

As it is the season of love, I feel it would be remiss not to give a little nod to cupid.  One of my favorite things is listening to StoryCorps. I heard this story a while ago and was really excited to see that it had animation attached!  Enjoy...



It's a good reminder of the endurance of love and support -- how important they are.  I get my love and support from family and friends...thanks to all of them and I wish you all a very Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: