06 January 2014

Let's Talk About Canada Cold



I know the U.S. is experiencing a deep freeze at the moment.  I am sympathetic.  Many a winter was spent huddled next to drafty windows under blankets and multiple layers of sweaters in Chicago apartments over the last ten years.  I get it.  But...Canada cold...prairie cold...makes weather take on a whole new dimension.

This morning, we have a windchill of -48C.  I know for many in Canada, this is something experienced throughout their lives.  -2C, no problem!  Break out the board shorts!  -10C, let's go for an outside run!  -30C...perfect weather for hiking!

I jest.  

I am inspired and made happy by many a Canadian's ability to, quite frankly, suck it up and deal with the cold hand they've been dealt.  On the radio this morning, they spoke of ways to beat cabin fever and played music that reminds us that warmer days are still to come, despite the cold and dark of our long winters.

I am a fan of the cold.  I like to embrace it, and, from my perspective, it just makes being inside that much more cozy.  It's a great excuse to make some homemade hot chocolate (vegan spiced recipe below!) and snuggle under the warmth of homemade quilts.  It begs for candles to be lit and soups to be made, for twinkling lights and fleece-lined tights.  

In short, I'll take the cold over the heat any day.  Bring it on, Mother Nature...I'm still your biggest fan this time of year.

Vegan Spiced Hot Chocolate

1 cup of your favourite unsweetened non-dairy milk (I love almond milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1 pinch of cinnamon
1 pinch of allspice
1 pinch of chill powder (optional)
1 tsp of good maple syrup

Mix and heat over low-medium heat on your stovetop and enjoy!

No comments: