23 November 2010

Moose Jaw Minute #16: Happy Thanksgiving...again!

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night!  We have made the trek from a VERY cold and snowy Moose Jaw to a fall-like New Jersey to visit my parents for the all-American version of the Thanksgiving holiday, complete with stuffing, apple pie, football, and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

To kick off the week of festivities, my dad and I ran the Philadelphia Half Marathon on Sunday.  This isn't the first time we've run this distance together, having completed the Long Branch Half Marathon about three years ago.  The running was awesome with leaves on the trees, a bite in the air, the sun shining down -- it truly is a beautiful route that takes us through some gorgeous areas of the city.  People were outside their brownstones, cheering the runners on and holding up signs.  One of them even declared that "Chuck Norris can't run like you!"  I agree.  My dad and I had a great time and I realized he has a knack for getting to know folks on the road.  We would be running along and another runner would pull up beside us and start chatting up my dad.  He'd carry on a conversation for 15 or 20 minutes and then, both runners feeling re-energized, would resume the focus on the rhythm of the road.  I loved the time on the road with my dad and it is something I will always remember.  In addition, my mom and Dave made a great cheering squad and, as any runner knows, you don't do this alone.  You have friends and family that sometimes take second seat to your training runs, but my mom and Dave prove time and again to be great support systems.  They met us at the end with big smiles, flowers, and hugs...it was good to see them!

This week is full of Evans family traditions that will include a family dinner and a trek into New York City to see the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular.  I need to confess here that -- well -- I LOVE the holidays.  I love them.  It is my favorite time of year. I love the music, the lights, the weather, the crowds.  I love the food and the company.  The time from American Thanksgiving to Christmas is full of good smells and cozy sweaters, dark nights and cold days.  I am a sucker for all things wintry and holiday.  Anyhow, I am getting to go back to my much-loved New York City, to walk among the tall buildings and people.   To walk up the steps from Penn Station, grabbing a coffee from the corner shop and smelling the chestnuts roasting on the street carts is pure bliss for me.

Thanksgiving (cheesy enough) does give me pause to make me think about what I am thankful for. 
  • I am thankful for my husband, who has made this year one full of love, support, laughter, and surprises. 
  • For my family who support me whether I am near or far. 
  • For my friends who keep me grounded and connected both in Canada and the States. 
  • I am grateful for my job and the people I work with and know I am very fortunate to be surrounded by such talent and passion. 
  • I am thankful for my health and the health of my loved ones...we are still kicking it. 
  • I am thankful for the experiences I've had this year -- everything from surfing in the cold Pacific to driving a U-Haul truck across the Canadian border, this has a been an amazing year.
So Happy Thanksgiving to you...I hope you have a wonderful week full of adventure, love, laughter, and, of course, some apple pie.

No comments: