24 November 2012

Thanksgiving Recap with Awesome Vegan Stuffing!

All-Vegan Gluten-Free Thanksgiving!

This year brought a quiet Thanksgiving my way. 
I had already celebrated with my parents and I will be heading down to Atlanta on Sunday to visit with my sister and her family.
I was looking forward to a calm week at work and Thanksgiving day with friends.

Matt and Constance are the kind of people everyone needs in their lives.
They are unfailingly wonderful, kind and honest.
They have two beautiful daughters who light up the room and provided ample amounts of entertainment on turkey day.
Matt's sister and her family were also over and she is every bit as wonderful as her brother.

One of the best things about having Matt and Constance as friends is that they always will supply endless amounts of vegan goodness for me to feast on.  Without question or comment.  It's just one of the many reasons I love them!

I contributed a vegan stuffing for the festivities (inspired by Heather Hands over at Flourishing Foodie) and even made a gluten-free version for Matt.

The stuffing was rich and sweet.
Apples and cranberries lighten the load of the bread and rice.
I added a good dose of chopped celery (because in my mind, nothing goes better with caramelized onions than celery) and omitted the vegan sausage (I'm not a big fan of fake meat).

The stuffing was a success and I think I like the gluten-free version better!  I've included my version below, but be sure to check out Heather's version on her site.

Hope you are all having a great weekend!


Heather's (inspired by Heather's!) Vegan, Gluten-Free Stuffing 

1 cup brown rice (cooked to package directions using vegetarian broth, not water)
2 celery stalks, sliced thin
1/2 sweet onion, chopped into small pieces
2 cups baby portobello mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
1 apple, peeled and cubed (small pieces)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp vegan "butter"

Cook rice according to package directions.  I substituted veggie broth for the water to give the rice a lot of flavour and eliminate the need for salt.

Put cranberries in a bowl and cover with just boiled water.  Let sit for 10 minutes and then drain out onto a towel.  Put aside.

While the cranberries are in the water, chop your onion, celery, mushrooms and apple.

Heat up a large frying pan on very low heat and (without adding ANYTHING), heat up your mushrooms.  Heather notes this releases the flavour...I have to agree.  Once they have turned brown and start releasing their liquids, turn out onto a towel and let sit.

In the same pan, turn the heat up to medium-high and add your "butter."  Saute your onions and celery in the butter until the onions start to brown and get sweet.  Once that happens, add your mushrooms, apple and cranberries.  Season with the sage and thyme (and any other seasonings you feel like adding).  Stir and get everything nice, coated and glistening.  Remove from heat.  

Once your rice is done, add it to the pan with the seasoned goodness.  Toss all of it together.  Add more seasoning if needed and turn up the heat a little if it is not warmed through.  

Put in a pretty bowl (or plastic container!) and serve to good friends and family!

Most of all...enjoy!


The Matt and Constance Spread!
Such a great looking family!
Thanksgiving Walk...
A warm and windy Chicago on Thanksgiving Day





1 comment:

Constance said...

Aww - I commented on this via phone when it was posted but looks like it didn't stick. Your stuffing was GONE very shortly after you left because we ate it all. And by gone, I mean mostly me b/c Matt polished off the gluten free version and the regular version was what I wanted for lunch several days in a row. Delicious. Thank you for the food, your company, and of course, your friendship.